When the scientists discovered the genes of Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, they established them as a lap-sitting dog. Yes, that is the favorite spot for them to sit and relax. But although they like to be on your lap all the time, you can hardly call them lazy and boring. This toy breed is one of the most active breeds that would even climb mountains with you.
The specialty of a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
They are graceful, active and well-groomed toy breed. Fearless, sporting and free in action, they are at the same time affectionate and gentle. They are elegant dogs and should be- for they come from the royal courts of Europe. The appearance and aura of this dog would immediately catch your attention. Leave them without artificial alteration and sculpting and they would still have your heart.
Who should keep this dog?
- Those who are looking for attractive, soft, small and fluffy coat with striking colors.
- Who likes cuddling their pets?
- Wants a pet that is polite and peaceful with everyone.
- Has the instincts to respond well to training.
Don’t buy if:
- You cannot give your pet much time. They are prone to separation anxiety and would never do well if left alone.
- If they show signs of shyness and timidity. It means that the parent breed did not socialize enough.
- If you dislike their chasing instincts.
- If you cannot comb or brush them every day.
- If you do not like the shedding of their hair.
Temperament and behavior
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel can be both stubborn and extremely obedient. As mentioned earlier, this breed seeks attention. Give them time and attention and they will even listen to the commands you give with your eyes. Generally, they have a sweet and loving nature. Even if strangers want to cuddle with them, they would let them. They easily respond to training that is accompanied by rewards.
Never leave them alone in public if they are not trained well to socialize. If would cause anxiety and panic attacks. In short- all they demand is lots of love and attention.