Why Are Grapes Bad For Dogs?

Humans can consume a wide variety of foods, but as a dog owner you will need to remember that the bodies of dogs do not always tend to work in the same manner. Some foods can be poisonous for them. Unless you are sure about how your dog will react to a specific food, do not feed it to the pet. Grapes are one of the food items that can be toxic for your pet. Find out why these are bad for dogs.

What are the effects of grapes on dogs?

Grapes, similar to raisins and Macadamia Nuts, can be very toxic to dogs. There are many compounds and chemicals in grapes that can be poisonous for dogs, and the entry of these substances into the system of dogs can be very poisonous for them. Grapes can result in lethargy, dehydration, lethargy and poor appetite in them, and the severe symptoms can include kidney failure. Dogs may die from kidney failure in 3 – 4 days.

Some dogs can consume grapes without suffering from any acute side effects. Others, on the other hand, may suffer from acute, fatal ailments. In case your pet has consumed grapes and is suffering from Toxicosis, you will possibly suffer from a combination of diarrhea, vomiting and fatigue. In case of these symptoms, you need to take your pet to the vet immediately.

The non-profit organization American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) is not sure about why grapes are harmful for dogs. However, these are indeed toxic for canines.

If your dog can consumed grapes in the past but exhibited no sudden toxicosis symptoms, you need to mention it still to your vet during the next checkup of your pup.

How to respond if your dog has eaten grapes?

If your dog has consumed quite a few grapes and seem to be affected by them, they can be saved at times. After you discover that your dog has consumed various grapes, it is important to immediately do the following:

Make your dog vomit. In case they are affected, they will possibly vomit in any case. If they do not, make them vomit forcibly.

Make them consume activated charcoal. It will help reduce the absorption of anything that leads to kidney failure. In case of absence of activated charcoal, you can burn some toast and have them charred and blackened before feeding them to dogs. Generally, it is easy to feed things to dogs. However, you might find it tough to feed charcoal to your pet.

Take your pet to a vet. It has been shown that introducing intravenous fluids aggressively for around 2 days can significantly reduce the odds of survival of dogs. The faster the treatment is initiated, the likelier they are to survive. You should not wait around to have your dog exhibit symptoms. In those cases where dogs are unlikely to survive, vets might be needed to euthanize dogs on the spot and not leave them to suffer a painful, slow death from conditions such as kidney failure.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *