Everyone likes ice cream, exceptionally the four legged animals. But in reality, several human foods are detrimental to dog’s health and especially feeding ice creams to dogs often can cause their health in risk.
It could be argued that a scoop or two can’t hurt; still dessert is obviously loaded with too much of fat and sugar, where some could even have an allergic reaction. A pet dog should fed foods that help them aid digestion, whereas, in ice-creams it tends to work in an opposite way. Feeding ice creams to dogs lacks their nutrition and may not agree with their stomach.
Like humans, many dogs lose their ability to process lactose, which is termed as ‘lactose intolerance’. They get really sick if they don’t digest the lactose properly. In case of puppies, they are less likely to develop lactose intolerance, if they continue to eat lactose-containing foods.
Symptoms of lactose intolerance in dogs:
- Gastrointestinal upset.
After consuming ice cream or any other dairy products, if a dog shows any of these signs immediately after few hours or minutes, then make sure that they are lactose intolerant.
Instead of feeding them ice creams, which leads to many disasters; it will be much good and fun to feed the dogs with ice lolly, mainly prepared from pet-friendly ingredients, which are safe and enjoyable for dogs.
A chilled pumpkin is a very good nutritious treat for dogs, or feeding frozen yogurts are much preferred when compared to ice creams and both are healthier food items.
Things a dog should never consume
- Xylitol – Xylitol is a sugar alcohol that is similar to sugar (used as a sweetener). It’s usually added in candy, gum, baked goods and some other diet food. It can cause dog liver failure and blood sugar.
- Avocado – Avocados consist of persin in it; which is toxic for dogs. If there is an avocado plant in your home, then keep your dog away from this plant, because it contains persins not only in its fruits, also in leaves, seed and bark.
- Dairy products – Dogs are generally lactose intolerant creatures; so, feeding them with dairy products such as ice creams, cheese, milk, etc can cause them diarrhea or other diseases.
- Alcohol – Alcohol does the same effect on dog’s liver and brain that it does on people. A little beer, liquor, wine or food with alcohol can cause them to coma, vomiting, coordination problems, breathing problems, diarrhea or even death.
- Chocolates – Chocolates are toxic for dogs because it contains ‘theobromine’. All kind of chocolates are harmful, especially dark chocolate and unsweetened baking chocolate. It can cause them heart problems, seizures, tremors or death.
- Onions and Garlic – This destroys a dog’s red blood cell and cause anaemia. A rare small dose is probably ok, but having a lot can cause poisoning.
- Coffee, tea or any other caffeine – Caffeine can be fatal. Keep a dog away from cocoa, colas and other energy drinks because these contain caffeine.
- Grapes and Raisins – In dogs, even a small amount of grapes and raisins may lead them to cause kidney failure.
- Macadamia Nuts – Keep away foods containing macadamia nuts; just a six row of macadamia nuts can cause them sick.
Billy and Margot sell a range of canine ice cream named as ‘Nutritious Iced Treats’, since it contain nutritious ingredients. The specialities in their ice cream are: consist of 100% vegetarian, contains fruits, Aloe Vera and Flaxseed oil. They come in various flavours like strawberry and apple, honey and banana, etc which are perfectly safe for dogs. So, if you wish to feed your dogs with ice-creams and enjoy viewing their happiness while consuming the chilled food, then you just try your hands with the above mentioned range of canine ice creams. Always, be aware while choosing and feeding foods for your pet dogs, as they mean a lot for you.
P.S. Be sure to Pin this in case you need to share it with a friend later on!