My Dog Ate Gum – What to Do When a Dog Consumes Gum?


As a dog owner, it can be a nightmare to come back home and find your dog looking at you with a packet of bubble gum torn to shreds. This can land him in plenty of health problems. Gum is bad for the health of dogs. Read and know about why gum is bad for dogs and its effects on them. The knowledge will help you to see your canine companion quickly get out of its predicament.

How Is Gum Bad for Dogs?

Sugared gum is possibly less harmful for dogs than the sugarless variety. In such cases, the main worry is the same concern that is associated with swallowing of gum. It can take about forever to get gums out of a dog’s system. If left unchecked, these can cause some damage to the insides of a dog. Although this is harmful, the damages caused by having sugarless gum are much more.

How Is Sugarless Gum Toxic?

In case your dog consumes some sugarless gum, you have to take prompt action. Most sugarless gums basically have a compound known as xylitol, used in the form of an artificial sweetener, which is a sugar alcohol occurring naturally. Trace amounts of xylitol can be found in all types of substances that are commonly eaten, such as berries, lettuce, corn and oats. It appears to be harmless to dogs in a natural state. Naturally, there is no urgency for you to remove blueberries from the surroundings of your pooch.

Xylitol is troublesome for dogs in a separated or isolated form. In its isolated form, it can be very poisonous for dogs. There can be big dangers. Your dog can experience various types of dramatic symptoms even if it takes the substance in small amounts.

What to do if your dog eats gum?

You should quickly take your dog to a vet before his liver begins to fail. Being late in seeking medical treatment can make your dog suffer from internal bleeding or liver failure, and they can enter into a coma in such cases.

A vet generally closely monitors the blood sugar level of affected dogs, and adjust them as necessary to keep it as normal as possible. As the condition progresses rapidly, vets can directly go from diagnosis to treatment. The treatment can be expected to be aggressive and quick.

There is still no antidote to toxicity from Xylitol. However, your dog will possibly be hospitalized and provided with IV fluids and liver protectants. Blood work will continuously be performed to ensure that the blood sugar level always remains at safe levels. This will make the gum pass out eventually, and your canine friend will not need to suffer from xylitol toxicity anymore.

It is better to prevent the problem before it begins. Do not keep sugar-free gum lying around, and also keep packs of bubblegum away from your dog’s reach. Urge your kids to do the same. It is especially recommended if your canine friend is of a particularly nosy breed.


P.S. Be sure to Pin this in case you need to share it with a friend later on!

Follow Me on Pinterest