If you want a lap dog to cuddle with, Maltese can be the best choice. They love to be cuddled and pampered, but they are highly enthusiasts too. For apartment or condo, Maltese are great companions. They are perfect for urban living. If you are planning to bring a Maltese puppy at home, it is time to know more about it.
- Basically, Maltese are toy breed as their length is around 7 to 12 inches and they weigh 3 to 10 pounds. If bred for dog shows, they weigh between 4 and 7 pound.
- One of the most important features of Maltese dog is their soft and silky fur. When you touch it, you will get a velvety feeling on your hand.
- Grooming is very necessary to maintain their long overcoat. Maltese have singular coat body, so brushing their fur regularly will be good.
- Maltese shed very less which is good news for the owner. Another interesting thing is they are hypoallergenic. People, who are allergic to dogs, are safe from Maltese.
- As Maltese have large eyes, they always have problem of leaking eyes. Tear-staining is a problem for them. You need to wipe off tear stains regularly.
- According to experts, Maltese must be taken to professional groomers in every six weeks for proper grooming.
- Many owners prefer to give a generic cut to the long coats of Maltese as that need less grooming. You can do that too.
- Maltese are very intelligent and friendly dog. If trained early, they won’t take much time to get along with your guests and other dogs. But, proper training is necessary.
- You should be very careful while your Maltese is with kids or meeting any kids for the first time. It can be a bit snappy. Also, make sure children won’t disturb them by pulling ears or tail. Such things irritate them a lot. With good training, Maltese can show agility and be well-behaved.
- Also, if you have small kids at your family, don’t bring Maltese at home. They can be tripped over or fallen from kid’s lap from a height if mishandled. As they are very small, such accidents can cause serious injury to them.
Maltese are beautiful dog and can be great companion. If you are living at small space, they can adjust with it readily and you will always have a smile on your face while you have a trained Maltese around.
P.S. Be sure to Pin this in case you need to share it with a friend later on!